Onion-powered iPod a hit with environmentalists

An environmentally conscious iPod user has used an onion and energy drink mixture to power his iPod, reports the Metro newspaper.

Owen Louis, 21, dug two holes into an onion, poured in the energy drink and then placed his USB cable in to charge his iPod.


“I was watching TV with my laptop on and my iPod playing and thought, "How much electricity must I be using? A friend showed me the experiment as a laugh but I thought it was the greatest thing I have ever seen, and do it religiously every day,” Owen said.

The environmentally conscious iPod user from Portsmouth claims the unusual charging method is green, because the onion will decompose and the energy drink bottle recycled.

Phil Stubbles, a physics lecturer from St Vincent College in Gosport, Hampshire quoted by the Metro said almost all vegetables could power iPods because they contain ions which react with energy drinks to create a charge.

'The only problem is you have no control over how long it may work for ... and it can be smelly,' he added.

Get four free Mac programs worth 82 and 40 free prints from Jessops with Macworld print magazine. On sale now! Click here for more information.




Jay-Z Gets Out Vote for Obama; Boss Adds Shows
(E! Online)

Guns N’ Roses to release new album next month
(Reuters)

DLO finally releases hi-def iPod video dock